Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ready, Aim, Fire?!... maybe not


Life is what happens while you are planning....


John Lennon



Most people are familiar with the phrase “Ready, aim, fire!”



The problem is that too many people spend their whole life aiming and never firing. They are always getting ready, getting it perfect.



But I have found that the quickest way to hit a target is to fire, see where the bullet landed, and then adjust my aim accordingly. If the hit was 2 inches above the target, I lower my aim a little. Fire again. See where it is now. Keep firing and keep readjusting. Soon you are hitting the bull’s-eye.



The same is true for anything.



Am I against planning? I'm not...



Lord knows that I have to plan to head off all kinds of potential problems. But sometimes what happens is that I wait until the "perfect time"! I want it to be the perfect situation before I start the journey.



Once on the move, it's been my experience that even though you thought you had the "perfect" plan it wasn't and you end up adapting the plan as you go.



So, plan a little, then check out the plan by firing first - you actually might get to the bullseye faster.

If you have a goal you want to achieve or a burning desire to do something.... start NOW.... there will never be the perfect time to start.



Talk to you later



Larry





No comments: