Monday, June 8, 2009

I've got the coolest job/life....

Last year when I was out in California working at the pro bike tour I had the occasion of meeting an incredible man. His name was Bjorn Eikrem. At the time he was 94 and spent his twilight years, biking, hiking and learning to mountain climb. He was a spectator at the bike tour and had a certain presence that drew you in and smile that was deeply infectious.

I had a chance to meet up again with him this year a few months ago at the Tour of California and met his sons, grand children and great grandchild. - I just found out that he passed away. The only reason I bring this up is that sometime the people we meet on the road of life can have a pretty profound affect on you. Even if our contact it is for a relatively short period of time.

I'll explain. While we were in Solvang, and he recognized me as I was walking by the finish line. He called out to me - he had remembered that I had helped his grandson get across the course last year to be with granddad for the end of the race festivities. A simple gesture, but one that made a difference to him.

Anyway, we had some time to kill and struck up a much longer conversation. He was holding court with a small group of spectators waiting for the festivities to be gin and told us of an old Norse tale.

You know, he started "Thor was know as the mightiest of the Norse gods. Once, when in the land of giants he challenged the giants to a wrestling match. But none of them would accept the challenge, so their chief called an old woman, who agreed to the wrestling match. After a violent struggle, she succeeded in bringing Thor down to one knee, and the giants called a stop to the match. Later the chief of the giants told Thor that he had done remarkably well, as that he was actually wrestling with Old Age, and there never was, and never will be, a man whom Old Age will not sooner or later lay low." The story made us all smile.

He further went on to say, "I think that this story tells us that old age and its consequences are inevitable to those who are lucky enough! And that "we all had best find ways to enjoy old age while it lasts!"

Pretty smart words for a Norseman I think... and probably why he really enjoyed his life until he was 95. My thoughts are with his very loving family.

Til next time...

No comments: