Sunday, January 25, 2009

X-Box and Fat Loss?

There are many generational differences between my son and me, but probably one of the most glaring differences is his manual dexterity when it comes to playing with his X-box. So during one of my practice sessions of the game street racing game Carbon (sans son), made me realize that keeping my car drifting on course is similar to fat loss.

It's not a stretch keep reading!

I thought about the delicate way that he used his controller buttons to navigate his $500,000.00 car around the course dodging police cruisers while racing against the clock. I came to the realization that on every single run of the course he captained, he was constantly making these very fine subtle adjustments to his exotic ride. His feel for the game allowed him to keep his ride on course ensuring a safe run while arriving at his destination regardless of the hazards, minutes before me and my classic muscle car.

Fat loss is really no different. (As testimony to my big slow thumbs on the controllers.) Sometimes when you start on a new healthy eating or exercise regime, the initial progress can be very slow. It may feel like you are never going to get to your destination and you crash and burn easily. But deep down you know that if you just sit tight and keep practicing you will eventually make your destination. Sure, you might get a bit frustrated and want to take it out on that smug child in the seat next to you, but if you just keep going, before long you'll stay on course and avoid more and more of the obstacles placed in your path. You then realize that it's just a case of making little adjustments. Maneuvering around a hairpin turn at 60 miles per hour is no big deal as long as you have it in perspective.

Each of my attempts down our virtual towns' Main Street dodging obstacles and police cruisers had varied success. Each run educated my thumbs so that they came to understand that, amongst other things, obstacles combined with speed in this virtual world is just part of the game, it's not dangerous if you don't overreact. So the next time that I challenge him or have a little wobble on my diet or exercise regime, I won't panic, over steer or jam on the breaks. I'll just press a few buttons, readjust and get back on course. Pretty soon, I'll be arriving at my destination far easier than I ever thought possible.

Til next time…

No comments: