Saturday, November 1, 2008

A smile?

Decision Day is almost upon us.

And I must say that for many people, this has been the most stressful election ever. The last two months have felt like a continuous full moon to many people.

One thing I know, regardless of what is going on "out there" - you can still radiate a smile from within - and enjoy peace of mind. Let me give you an example on how I had to do it this weekend.

I was going through some old files the other day.... there was some correspondence from my ex that I stumbled upon. This email was filled with anything but praise. Initially I was shocked, but then I started to smile. I remembered what a very wise person said to me when I used to play big matches in front of a lot of people.

He used to say "Remain emotionally neutral about both praise and criticism - but wise enough to know when either can be turned to your advantage." Kinda weird that I remembered those words at that particular time, but in essence the words resonated to - don't sweat this stuff. It doesn't matter. Neither did her praise when I did something "right". All of it was either false or at bare minimum: temporary.

None of it will last.
Neither the praise nor the criticism is permanent.
Neither is she. Neither am I.

"When it comes to politics, it's very hard for people to remain neutral. It's very difficult for people to realize, that no matter who gets elected, and no matter how difficult these promising politicians make life for us - it is unwise to let them rule your emotional world. Even if you choose to fight for or against a specific candidate - you can fight with the same smile the politicians wear almost everywhere they go.

Smiling is one thing you can learn from politicians and use for your greater good. At first you may need to fake it. But with daily practice - you'll radiate a smile from within that others can feel. This inner smile will attract others to you. It will also help improve your career, economic situation and health. The more you practice smiling and finding something to smile about - the more you'll be able to remain emotionally neutral and effective in any situation - including a crisis.

Keep this in mind today and over the next few days. Don't let anyone or anything ruin your day. Stand up for what you believe - with a smile. And go for more of what life has to offer you - with this same smile.

Til next time.....

No comments: