Monday, December 10, 2007

A hard, yet simple question...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you DIDN'T DO than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

This is one of my favorite quotes…but It makes me come to you with (on the surface) a simple question… Why do you train? Why do you workout?

It doesn’t matter if it is on a daily, weekly, or (with a few of my clients of late) - a monthly basis. You should know the answer to these questions because it helps to give you a sense of purpose and helps you to understand the “why”.

Folks like me, Personal Trainers, find it disappointing when we see a person simply working out and going through the motions. They end up performing arduous workouts and a multitude of sets per exercise for no apparent reason.

I won’t lie, the money can be great; but as a rep counter surely there must be more?

There at least two reasons that I train. I enjoy working out… it helps me get away from my other duties at the center and allows me to blow off some steam. Especially during this time of year; when we are neck deep in budget projections and staff performance reviews!

When I train, I feel good inside, I’m less stressed and have something left in the tank to help me survive my other everyday activities. The other reason I workout? Those damn goals. I have this notion, that IF I continue to workout I will be healthier, that I will more easily function as the family pack mule and live longer with less trouble, aches and pains. Those reasons work for me. But that really doesn’t matter.

What works for you?! Why do you work out?

See if you really understand why you train or why you feel it is necessary to workout. You have just increased your chances of success. Also it may also help you discover who you are and might just give you a better understanding of what really lives inside you.

A new year is just right around the corner…why don’t you take a few minutes before your next workout and reflect on this concept of why you train. Those few minutes just might give us both a chance at helping you reach your goals

Til next time….

No comments: